Figures produced by independent statistical staff , free from any political influence and in accordance with professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics have been released. The figures show the progress and results of appeals following the 2010 and 2017 business rates revaluations.

The data as at 30 June 2019 shows:

  • 2017 Rating List figures 
    • 73,882 appeals have been lodged so far
    • 60% (44,391) have been resolved
    • 29,491 appeals against the 2017 revaluation are still outstanding
    • Of the 44,391 resolved appeals, 75% (33,308) of these resulting in no change to the RV. The remaining 25% (11,083) of resolved appeals saw an RV decrease. 

    2010 Rating List Appeal Figures 

    • Over 99% of appeals for the 2010 rating list for which an appeal had been received have been resolved with only 132 outstanding.
    • Exact percentage figures of appeals that ended in success are not provided the total rateable value of properties for which appeals have been resolved has been reduced by £265 million.

There will be further updates on the total number and value of appeals lodged against the 2010 and 2017 revaluations and their progress in the future.