Whether you are liable to pay business rates or council tax will depend on the use of the property you are occupying.

If your premises is you a residential property council tax will be applicable, if your premises is for your business or for a commercial enterprise it will be liable for business rates.

Properties can switch between the two classifications, for example a pub that is converted to flats would be taken out of the business rates rating list and placed under council tax.

A premises can also be split into residential and commercial with the section used for residential qualifying for council tax and the area(s) used as commercial space placed on the business rates rating list.

If you are unsure as to which your property should be valued under, contact your local valuation office.