Temporary relief  can be granted to ratepayers who, are only using a part of their property , with the rest is completely unused.

This relief  is only available when the unused part will remain so for a short time only. It should also be noted that if the part of your property that is unused will remain empty for the foreseeable future and it is capable of being split from the part that is being used, the Valuation Officer may be requested to split the assessment.

You will need to apply for the relief with your local council, after which a Visiting Officer will visit your property to assess whether you would be eligible for relief. If  the relief is appropriate the Valuation Officer will issue a certificate to show the rateable values of the occupied and unoccupied parts of the property and then a revised bill will then be sent to you showing any changes in your rates that are due.

Please note that you must continue to pay any rates that are due while your application is being considered.