As a small business either in England or Wales you may be eligible for up to 100% relief on your business rates and there is different criteria to be met in both England and Wales.
All applications for Small Business Rates Relief must be made to the local councils using the form that can be found on their website, or requesting a form via email. You must also continue to pay your business rates while your application is being considered.
Small Business Rates Relief – England
You might be eligible for Small Business Rates Relief if your property meets the following criteria :
- Your property’s rateable value is less than £15,000
- Your business only uses one property – but in some circumstances you may still be able to get relief if you use more.
If you have more than one site you are eligible for small business rates relief if :
- You currently get small business rates relief and take on a second property, you’ll keep getting any existing relief on your main property for 12 months.
- You have more than one property but none of your other properties have a rateable value above £2,899
- The rateable values of all your properties totals less than £20,000 or £28,000 in London
How much relief you are eligible for depends on your rateable value
- Properties with an RV below £12,000 receive 100% relief on their rates payable.
- Properties with an RV between £12,001 to £15,000 the relief is tapered from 0-100%.
Small Business Rates Relief – Wales
- Your RV is between £6,000 and £12,000
- Have two properties per business in each local authority
- Are a post office or registered childcare premises
- Properties with an RV below £6,000 receive 100% relief
- Properties with an RV between £6,001 and £12,000 receive relief tapered from 0-100%
- Post Offices with an RV up to £9,000 receive 100% relief and those with an RV between £9,001 and £12,000 receive 50% relief
Child care providers receive 100% relief until 31 March 2022.
If you have more than one site and those properties meet the rateable value conditions you will only receive relief for a maximum of two properties.